CHANGE OF TRACKS (Spårbyte) 2.2 – Finding a job

(För svenska läs längre ner)

TEXT FROM THE FILM has been put together by no border activists and other people who believe in a more open world.

In the previous lecture we talked about the basic requirements for making a change of tracks. In this lecture we will talk about how to apply for a job and start working. This includes getting a coordination number and opening a bank account.

Finding a Job
There are many ways to find a job in Sweden. You can search through the official job agency (Arbetsförmedlingen), private job advertisers, recruitment companies, personal contacts and you can also contact employers directly yourself. Honestly, the best way to find a job is to go through personal contacts or to contact an employer directly. To register at a recruitment company can also be a good idea. The official job agency advertises some jobs, but many employers don’t use this platform. To go through the official job agency can often be a slow and sometimes pointless process. If you search through private job advertises there might be more jobs, but the competition for these jobs is always tough. Unfortunately, people who are from the outside of the EU or don’t have a European education usually find it harder to compete on the job market. For these reasons, we really recommend that you use your personal contacts or contact employers directly.

When you apply for a job in Sweden, it is important to have a CV. You can get jobs without writing a CV, but most serious employers want you to write one. The CV should explain your educational and professional background and be as short as possible. Check guidelines on the Internet before you write your CV to get an idea of what it should look like. Usually, the CV should be handed to the employer together with a cover letter. The cover letter explains more about who you are, what skills you have and why you are applying for the job. There are useful information about cover letters on the Internet too. Many employers like when you show up in person or call them. It can also be a good way of making sure they remember you, so try it if you have the possibility.

Many asylum seekers face a lot of struggles when establishing in Sweden. As an asylum seekers usually want to find an income quickly and can be kind of desperate about finding a job. Unfortunately, there are some Swedish employers who want to benefit from this and employ asylum seekers under bad conditions. Therefore, you should make sure that you know about your rights as a worker.
The two following things are really important if you are planning to make a change of tracks:

1. Never accept to work in the black economy. A job is OK only if your employer pays the general payroll tax (arbetsgivaravgift) and you pay an income tax (inkomstskatt)
2. Make sure that your employment standards are in line with Swedish labour market standards. It is only if they do that you can make a change of tracks. To learn more about this, please watch the lectures called “Basic requirements”, “Employment requirements” and “Checking your own employment”

Once you have a job offer, there are three things you and your employer need to do before you can start working. They are:

1. Get a coordination number (samordningsnummer)
2. Open a bank account
3. Notify the reception unit (Mottagningsenheten)

Coordination Number from Skatteverket
In order to get a personal identity number you need to have a right to live in Sweden for more than one year. This is not possible when you are an asylum seeker, as Sweden hasn’t given you any residence permit yet. So, what you can do is instead to get a so called coordination number (samordningsnummer). The state authorities use coordination numbers to identify people who don’t have personal identity numbers. The coordination number has nine digits. The first six digits are your date of birth and the last three are chosen randomly. Don’t get this number mixed up with the number that you might have gotten when you went to hospital or contacted a health care service – they are not the same!

Coordination numbers are issued by the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket). It is a little tricky, because you cannot simply ask the tax agency to give you a coordination number. But if you have a job offer and will start paying income taxes in Sweden, the tax agency should give you a coordination number. Actually, this process goes through the employer. The employer should fill out a form for preliminary taxation (preliminär a-skatt) and send to the tax agency. This form can be found on the website of the Swedish Tax Agency. Together with the form, the employer should also send a copy of the employment contract and a copy of a document that proves your identity.

These documents can be used to prove your identity:

• Passport or national ID card
• Alien’s passport (främlingspass) or travelling documents, as long as they do not contain a reservation on your identity
• Citizenship certificate
• Military ID card
• Birth certificate

The document has to be original or a verified copy. It should be of high quality and not too easy to fake. Your LMA card or IDs issued by the Red Cross cannot be used to prove your identity.

Sometimes employers refuse to hire persons without coordination numbers. This is usually because they don’t really know the rules themselves. If this happens to you, you can try to get a coordination number in another way. It is difficult and not likely that you succeed, but it can be worth trying.

Here are some ways you could try:

• Register as unemployed at Arbetsförmedlingen and ask them to apply for a coordination number
• Request a driver’s permit (körkortstillstånd) from the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen) and ask for a coordination number
You also need to provide the authorities with documents proving your identity.

If the Tax Agency decides not to give you a coordination number, you can apply again as many times as you like. You cannot appeal the negative decision to court.

Open a Bank Account
When you start working and get a salary, you need to open a Swedish bank account. Most serious employers don’t pay salaries in cash and this would of course also be very unpractical.

A few years ago, it was very difficult for asylum seekers to open bank accounts in Sweden, but since July 2016 the process has been simplified. You should now be able to open a bank account if you have a valid LMA card and a verified copy of your passport or another ID-document. The Migration Agency gives assistance to the banks when asylum seekers want to open bank accounts. If you are in contact with a bank that does not let you open a bank account: ask the bank to call the Migration Agency!

Notify the Reception Unit
When the employment is fixed, your employer has to notify your reception unit at the Migration Agency. The address to the reception unit is written on your LMA card. The notification is made through a specific form on the Migration Agency’s website. We have a link to this form on our website. This form is only available in Swedish.

If you receive a daily allowance (dagersättning) from the Migration Agency, you will have to tell the Agency about your new income. Once you have a job and obtain a salary which is higher than the allowance, you can no longer get the allowance.
If your employment finishes, your employer has to notify the reception unit again.

To summarize what we have been talking about in this lecture, we will take you through the process of finding a job and start working again. First of all, you need to find a job. The job should not be in the black economy and your employment should be in accordance with Swedish labour market standards. If it is not, you can try to fix this problem later on and we will talk more about it in the coming lectures.
Secondly, when you have found a job, you need to get a coordination number from the Tax Agency and open a bank account. Your employer then needs to notify your reception unit at the Migration Agency.

These two lectures called “Basic requirements” and “Finding a job” contain a lot of important information. If you feel that you have missed something, do watch them both again!


TEXT FRÅN FILMEN har sammanställts av asylaktivister som kämpar för öppna gränser och av andra personer som tror på en öppnare värld.

I den föregående föreläsningen pratade vi om de grundläggande kraven för spårbyte. I den här föreläsningen ska vi prata om hur du kan hitta ett jobb och hur det går till när du börjar arbeta. I detta ingår att få ett samordningsnummer och att öppna ett bankkonto.

Hitta ett jobb
Det finns flera sätt att hitta jobb i Sverige på. Du kan söka via Arbetsförmedlingen, privata annonsörer, bemanningsföretag, personliga kontakter och du kan också ta kontakt med arbetsgivare själv. Ärligt talat är det oftast lättast att gå genom personliga kontakter eller att kontakta en arbetsgivare direkt. Det kan även vara en bra idé att registrera sig hos ett bemanningsföretag. Arbetsförmedlingen annonserar lediga tjänster, men många arbetsgivare använder sig inte av denna plattform. Att gå genom Arbetsförmedlingen är ofta en långsam och ibland meningslös process. Om du letar genom privata annonsörer kan de ha fler tjänster, men konkurrensen om dessa jobb är alltid hård. Tyvärr är det oftast svårare för personer från länder utanför EU eller för personer utan en europeisk utbildning att tävla på arbetsmarknaden. Av dessa anledningar rekommenderar vi verkligen att du använder dig av personliga kontakter eller att du kontaktar en arbetsgivare direkt.

När du söker ett jobb i Sverige är det viktigt att ha ett CV. Du kan få jobb utan att skriva CV, men de flesta seriösa arbetsgivare vill att du har ett. CV:t ska förklara din utbildnings- och arbetsmässiga bakgrund och vara så kortfattat som möjligt. Du kan kolla på guider på Internet för att få en idé om ett CV ska utformas innan du börjar skriva. Vanligtvis ska CV:t lämnas över till arbetsgivaren tillsammans med ett personligt brev. Det personliga brevet berättar mer om vem du är, vilka talanger du har och varför du söker jobbet. Det finns även användbar information om personliga brev på Internet. Många arbetsgivare uppskattar att du kommer för att träffa dem eller att du ringer dem. Detta kan också vara ett bra sätt att se till att de kommer ihåg dig, så testa gärna om du har möjlighet.

Många asylsökande möter svårigheter när de ska etablera sig i Sverige. En asylsökande vill ofta hitta en inkomstkälla snabbt och kan känna sig desperat i jobbletandet. Tyvärr finns det vissa svenska arbetsgivare som vill utnyttja detta. De anställer asylsökande och ger dem dåliga anställningsvillkor. Därför ska du alltid se till att du själv känner till dina rättigheter som arbetare.

Dessa två saker är mycket viktiga om du planerar att byta spår:

• Acceptera aldrig att jobba svart. En anställning är bara okej om din arbetsgivare betalar arbetsgivaravgift och du betalar inkomstskatt.
• Se till att dina anställningsvillkor är i linje med standarden på den svenska arbetsmarknaden. Det är bara då som du har möjlighet att byta spår. För att lära dig mer om detta kan du se föreläsningarna “Grundläggande krav”, “Krav på anställningen” och “Kontrollera din egen anställning”

När du har fått ett anställningserbjudande finns det tre saker som du och din arbetsgivare måste ordna innan du kan börja jobba. Dessa är:

• Få ett samordningsnummer
• Öppna ett bankkonto
• Meddela mottagningsenheten på Migrationsverket

Samordningsnummer från Skatteverket
För att få ett personnummer måste du ha rätt att bo i Sverige i ett år eller mer. En asylsökande kan inte få ett personnummer eftersom hen ännu inte fått ett svenskt uppehållstillstånd. Så, det du kan göra istället är att skaffa ett så kallat samordningsnummer. De statliga myndigheterna använder samordningsnummer för att identifiera personer som inte har personnummer. Ett samordningsnummer består av nio siffror. De sex första siffrorna är ditt födelsetal och de tre sista väljs slumpartat. Blanda inte ihop detta nummer med det nummer som du eventuellt har fått när du besökt ett sjukhus eller en vårdcentral – detta är inte ett samordningsnummer!

Samordningsnummer utfärdas av Skatteverket. Det hela är lite komplicerat, för det går inte att bara be Skatteverket om ett samordningsnummer. Men om du har ett anställningserbjudande och ska börja betala inkomstskatt i Sverige ska Skatteverket ge dig ett samordningsnummer. Denna process går faktiskt genom din arbetsgivare. Arbetsgivaren ska fylla i en blankett för preliminär a-skatt och skicka denna till Skatteverket. Blanketten finns på Skatteverkets hemsida. Tillsammans med blanketten ska arbetsgivaren också skicka en kopia av anställningsavtalet och en kopia av ett dokument som kan styrka din identitet.

Dessa dokument kan användas för att styrka din identitet:

• Pass eller nationellt id-kort
• Främlingspass eller resedokument, så länge dessa inte innehåller förbehåll avseende din identitet.
• Medborgarskapsbevis
• Militärt id-kort
• Födelsebevis

Dokumentet måste vara i original eller en verifierad kopia. Det ska vara av hög kvalitet och svårt att förfalska. Ett LMA-kort eller ett id som utfärdats av Röda korset kan inte användas för att styrka din identitet. Ibland vägrar arbetsgivare att anställa personer utan samordningsnummer. Detta beror vanligtvis på att arbetsgivaren själv inte riktigt kan reglerna. Om detta händer dig kan du försöka få ett samordningsnummer på annat sätt. Det är svårt och inte så troligt att du kommer lyckas, men det kan vara värt ett försök.

Här är två sätt du kan testa:

• Registrera dig som arbetssökande på Arbetsförmedlingen och be om att få ett samordningsnummer
• Ansök om körkortstillstånd hos Transportstyrelsen och be om att få ett samordningsnummer.

Du kommer också behöva lämna in dokument som styrker din identitet till dessa myndigheter.
Om Skatteverket beslutar att inte ge dig ett samordningsnummer kan du ansöka igen så många gånger du vill. Däremot kan du inte överklaga beslutet.

Öppna ett bankkonto
När du börjar jobba och får lön behöver du öppna ett svenskt bankkonto. De flesta seriösa arbetsgivare betalar inte ut lön i kontanter och det är ju för övrigt också väldigt opraktiskt.

För några år sen var det väldigt svårt för asylsökande att öppna bankkonto i Sverige, men sedan juli 2016 har processen förenklats. Du ska nu kunna öppna ett bankkonto om du har ett giltigt LMA-kort och en verifierad kopia av ditt pass eller ett annat identitetsdokument. Migrationsverket erbjuder assistans till bankerna när asylsökande vill öppna bankkonton. Om du är i kontakt med en bank som inte vill låta dig öppna ett bankkonto: be banken att ringa Migrationsverket!

Meddela mottagningsenheten
När anställningen är klar måste din arbetsgivare meddela din mottagningsenhet på Migrationsverket. Adressen till mottagningsenheten står på ditt LMA-kort. Meddelandet görs genom en särskild blankett som finns på Migrationsverkets hemsida. Vi har en länk till denna blankett på vår hemsida. Blanketten finns bara på svenska.

Om du får dagersättning från Migrationsverket måste du informera om din nya inkomst. När du har ett jobb och får en lön som är högre än dagersättningen kan du inte längre få denna ersättning.
Om din anställning avslutas måste arbetsgivaren meddela mottagningsenheten igen.

För att sammanfatta vad vi pratat om i denna föreläsning ska vi återigen kort gå igenom hur man hittar ett jobb och börjar jobba. För det första måste du hitta ett jobb. Det ska inte vara ett svartjobb och dina anställningsvillkor ska stämma överens med standarden på den svenska arbetsmarknaden. Om de inte gör det kan du försöka fixa detta problem senare och vi berättar hur i de följande föreläsningarna.
För det andra, när du har hittat ett jobb, måste du få ett samordningsnummer från Skatteverket samt öppna ett bankkonto. Din arbetsgivare måste meddela din mottagningsenhet på Migrationsverket.

Dessa två föreläsningar, “Grundläggande krav” och “Hitta ett jobb” innehåller mycket viktig information. Om du tror att du har missat något bör du kolla på båda en gång till!

Kommentarer inaktiverade.