CHANGE OF TRACKS (Spårbyte) 4 – How to Apply

TEXT FROM THE FILM has been put together by no border activists and other people who believe in a more open world.

In this lecture we will go over how to apply for a change of tracks. It is important that you watch all the lectures about the different requirements before you submit your application. When you know that your employment and future job offer meet all the requirements you can apply. In this lecture we will go over when and how to do this.

Time of Application
You can only apply for a change of tracks if you have a decision on your asylum case that has “entered into force”. We will explain what this means in a moment. When you get this decision, you have 14 days to submit your application. So, you must wait until your decision has entered into force before you apply for a work permit and you need to apply within 14 days.

That a legal decision enters into force means that it becomes valid. It cannot be appealed against. In other words, it is the final decision. But how do you know when a decision enters into force? Well, there are couple of different ways in which a decision can enter into legal force. We will go through them now. Make sure you understand them, because it is very important that you don’t submit your application too early or too late! If you do, the application will be rejected automatically.

So. When a decision enters into force depends on where your case is in the process. You will get your first decision in the asylum case from the Migration Agency (Migrationsverket). You can appeal this decision to the Migration Court (Migrationsdomstolen) and this court will then look at your case. When you get a decision from the Migration Court, this decision can be appealed to the Migration Court of Appeals (Migrationsöverdomstolen). If you appeal all the way up to the Migration Court of Appeals, the decision you get from this court will be your final decision. That’s because there is no court above the Migration Court of Appeals and all its decisions are therefore the final ones. A decision from the Migration Court of Appeals always enters into legal force right away.

But, some people don’t want to appeal their decisions all the way up to the Migration Court of Appeals. It could be that they want to make a change of tracks as soon as possible. It also happens that people don’t manage to appeal within the set time limit. If you have a decision from the Migration Agency or the Migration Court and you don’t appeal against it within three weeks, the decision will enter into force. That’s because three weeks is the time limit for making appeals. If you are really in a hurry, you don’t even need to wait for three weeks. If you want your decision to enter into force right away, you can go to the Migration Agency and sign a declaration of satisfaction (nöjdförklaring). when you sign a declaration of satisfaction, the asylum process finishes and the negative decision enters into force.
When you’ve signed this declaration, you have 14 days to apply for a work permit, or ‘make a change of tracks’.

Criteria at the Time of the Application
Now we will talk about the requirements for making an application. All of these requirements need to be fulfilled by the time you apply for a work permit. If you want to find out more about them, you can watch the other lectures.

These are the requirements:

  1. You must have had the job for at least four months. The time is counted from the day when the Migration Agency receives your application for a work permit.
  2. You must have had the right to work during the asylum process, which is called “AT-UND”
  3. The job offer must be valid for at least one year ahead. This is counted from the day when the Migration Agency receives your application
  4. Your salary must be more than 13.000 kronor per month before tax.
  5. The job needs to meet the minimum standards of the collective agreement. In other words you must have the right salary and insurances.
  6. You must have a valid passport when you apply. The passport needs to be valid also for the period of your work permit.

How to Apply
OK, so how do you actually apply? Well, actually, the application process starts with the employer. The employer has to make a job offer for you on the Migration Agency’s webpage. We explain this in greater detail in another lecture. To do this, your employer needs your personal details, including an email address. When the job offer is done, you will get an email with instructions on how to apply. Then you make the application on the Migration Agency’s webpage.

If you don’t want to apply online for some reasons, you can print and fill in the form by hand and then send it by post to the Migration Agency with all the necessary documents.

No matter how you send the application, these are the documents that you have to include:

  • a copy of the job offer from the employer
  • a statement from a relevant labour union regarding your employment, that you also should receive from your employer.
  • a bank document showing your salary from the last four months.
  • identity documents. If you have given your passport to the Migration Agency during the asylum process and they still have it when you apply, you do not need to send in a copy. Otherwise you need to copy the pages of the passport that show your personal information, your photograph, signature, passport number, issuing country, period of validity and if you have permission to live in other countries than your country of origin.

If you apply online, you can scan these documents or take photos of them. If you send your application by post, you simply put the documents in the letter. When you apply, you also have to pay a fee. You can either pay this fee online or, if you apply by post, via Bankgiro.

Statement from Union
When the employer has made the job offer, he or she has to send it to the relevant labour union. The labour union should then say if it thinks that the employment lives up to the standards of the collective agreement. It makes a formal statement about this that is then sent back to the employer. The employer then has to send this statement to the Migration Agency. Actually, most labour unions make negative statements about employers who don’t have collective agreements. They do this by principle because they think that all employers should have collective agreements. In these cases, it is not necessarily about the level of the salary or the insurances. If a labour union makes a negative statement about your employment, you shouldn’t be too worried. If you know that your salary is not lower than the salary of the collective agreement and that you have the required insurances, you are fine.

Family members
If you get a work permit, your family members can get permission to stay as long as your work permit is valid. This goes for family members who are your:

  • husband or wife
  • registered partner
  • life partner (sambo)
  • children under the age of 18

How you make the application for family members depends on if your family members are also asylum seekers or if they are still outside Sweden. We will look at both of these situations, one at a time.

So, if your family members are also asylum seekers they can apply for permits to stay with you without leaving Sweden first. But they can only do this if they have final negative decisions in their asylum cases. When your family members get their final negative decisions, they also have two weeks to apply for a permit to stay together with you. If you have all applied for asylum together and got your final negative decisions at the same time, you can include your family members in your application for the work permit. If your family members get their asylum decisions later and cannot apply together with you, they need to apply through a form. This form can be downloaded from the Migration Agency’s website. If your family members are already in Sweden and cannot apply at the same time as you, they can only use this form and cannot make an online application.

In the other case, when your family members are not yet in Sweden, they can apply online for permits to stay with you. If they can’t make the application online for some reason, they can use the previously mentioned form before and then give the application to the nearest Swedish embassy or consulate.

If your family members apply separately and not together with you, all of them have to make individual applications. They also need to pay fees for their applications. They also need to send documents that indicate the relationships they have to you – marriage certificates for husbands and wives and birth certificates for children. To find out more about what exactly is required in these application, we recommend that you have a look at the Migration Agency’s website or call the Migration Agency to ask.

Before we finish this lecture, we would just like to make a short summary of the most important things:

  1. You can only send an application after you have a decision that has “entered into force”. When the decision enters into force you have 14 days to send the application. If your application comes in too early or too late, the Migration Agency will reject it.
  2. It is important that you make sure you meet all the requirements before you apply for a work permit.
  3. It is your employer who starts the application process through the Migration Agency’s website. You will then receive an email that explains how you should apply. Applying online is often easier and faster. If you are not able to apply online, you can send the documents by post.
  4. You will have to pay a fee when you apply, either in the online application or through Bankgiro.
  5. If you have family members, they can receive permits to stay with you while you are working. How your family members should apply for their permits depends on if they are also asylum seekers in Sweden or not. har sammanställts av asylaktivister som kämpar för öppna gränser och av andra personer som tror på en öppnare värld.



I den här föreläsningen kommer vi att gå igenom hur man ansöker om spårbyte. Det är viktigt att du ser alla föreläsningar som handlar om de olika kraven innan du skickar in din ansökan. Först när du vet att din anställning och ditt framtida anställningserbjudande lever upp till alla krav kan du ansöka. I den här föreläsningen ska vi prata om när och hur du ska ansöka.

Tidpunkten för ansökan
Du kan bara ansöka om att byta spår om ditt beslut i asylärendet har vunnit laga kraft. Vi kommer strax att förklara vad detta innebär. När du får detta beslut har du 14 dagar på dig att skicka in din ansökan. Du måste alltså vänta tills ditt beslut har vunnit laga kraft innan du ansöker om spårbyte och du måste ansöka inom 14 dagar.

Att en rättsligt beslut vinner laga kraft betyder att det blir gällande. Det går inte att överklaga beslutet. Med andra ord ä beslutet slutgiltigt. Men hur kan man veta när ett beslut vinner laga kraft? Jo, det finns ett antal olika sätt som ett beslut kan vinna laga kraft på. Vi ska gå igenom dem nu. Se till att du förstår detta, för det är mycket viktigt att du inte skickar in din ansökan för tidigt eller för sent! Om du gör det kommer ansökan att avslås automatiskt.

Alltså. När ett beslut vinner laga kraft beror på var i processen beslutet befinner sig. Ditt första beslut i asylärendet kommer du att få från Migrationsverket. Du kan överklaga detta beslut till Migrationsdomstolen och denna domstol kommer då att titta på ditt ärende. När du får ett beslut (en dom) från Migrationsdomstolen kan du överklaga till Migrationsöverdomstolen. Om du överklagar hela vägen upp till Migrationsöverdomstolen kommer beslutet (domen) som du får från denna domstol att vara ditt slutgiltiga. Det beror på att det inte finns någon domstol över Migrationsöverdomstolen. Alla dess beslut (domar) är därför slutgiltiga. Ett beslut (en dom) från Migrationsöverdomstolen vinner alltid laga kraft med en gång.

Men alla personer vill inte överklaga sina beslut hela vägen upp till Migrationsöverdomstolen. Det kan vara så att de vill byta spår så snart som möjligt. Det händer även att personer inte lyckas överklaga i rätt tid. Om du har ett beslut (eller en dom) från Migrationsverket eller Migrationsdomstolen som du inte överklagar inom tre veckor vinner beslutet (domen) laga kraft. Det beror på att tre veckor är tidsgränsen för att överklaga. Om du verkligen har bråttom behöver du inte ens vänta i tre veckor. Du kan då gå till Migrationsverket och skriva under en nöjdförklaring. När du skrivit under nöjdförklaringen avslutas asylprocessen och ditt negativa beslut vinner laga kraft. Du har då 14 dagar på dig att ansöka om ett arbetstillstånd, eller att “byta spår”.

Krav vid tidpunkten för ansökan
Nu ska vi prata om kraven för att göra en ansökan. Samtliga av dessa krav måste vara uppfyllda när du ansöker om ett arbetstillstånd. Om du vill ta reda på mer om kraven kan du titta på övriga föreläsningar.

Kraven är följande:

  1. Du måste ha haft jobbet i åtminstone fyra månader. Tiden räknas från dagen då Migrationsverket får din ansökan om arbetstillstånd
  2. Du måste ha haft tillstånd att arbeta under asylprocessen, vilket kallas “AT-UND”
  3. Anställningserbjudandet måste gälla minst ett år framåt. Tiden räknas från dagen då Migrationsverket får din ansökan.
  4. Din lön måste vara minst 13 000 kronor före skatt.
  5. Anställningen måste uppfylla minimikraven i kollektivavtalet. Med andra ord måste du ha rätt lön och de nödvändiga försäkringarna.
  6. Du måste ha ett giltigt pass när du ansöker. Passet måste också vara giltigt under hela den period du söker arbetstillstånd för.

Hur du ansöker
Okej, så hur ska du då ansöka? Jo, det är faktiskt din arbetsgivare som ska påbörja ansökningsprocessen. Arbetsgivaren ska skapa ett anställningserbjudande för dig på Migrationsverkets hemsida. Vi beskriver detta mer ingående i en annan föreläsning. För att göra detta behöver arbetsgivaren ha dina personliga uppgifter och din mejladress. När anställningserbjudandet är färdigt kommer du att få ett mejl med instruktioner om hur du ska ansöka. Du gör sedan din ansökan på Migrationsverkets hemsida.

Om du av någon anledning inte vill ansöka via hemsidan kan du skriva ut blanketten och fylla i den för hand och sedan skicka den med post till Migrationsverket tillsammans med alla nödvändiga dokument.

Oavsett hur du skickar in din ansökan behöver du inkludera följande dokument:

  • En kopia av anställningserbjudandet från arbetsgivaren
  • Ett yttrande från det berörda fackförbundet angående din anställning. Detta ska du också få av din arbetsgivare.
  • Ett kontoutdrag från banken som visar din lön de senaste fyra månaderna
  • Identitetsdokument. Om du har lämnat ditt pass till Migrationsverket under asylprocessen och passet fortfarande är där behöver du inte lämna in en kopia. I annat fall ska du kopiera de sidor i ditt pass som visar dina personliga uppgifter, ditt fotografi, namnteckning, passnummer, utfärdande land, giltighetsperiod och om du har tillstånd att bo i ett annat land än ditt hemland.

Om du ansöker via hemsidan kan du skanna dessa dokument eller fotografera dem. Om du skickar ansökan med post bifogar du helt enkelt dokumenten i kuvertet. När du ansöker måste du också betala en avgift. Du kan antingen betala den via Migrationsverkets hemsida eller, om du ansöker per post, via Bankgiro.

Yttrande från fackförbundet
När arbetsgivaren har skapat ett anställningserbjudande måste hen skicka detta till det berörda fackförbundet. Fackförbundet ska då säga om det tycker att anställningen lever upp till kraven i kollektivavtalet. Fackförbundet skriver ett formellt yttrande om detta och skickar tillbaka det till arbetsgivaren. Arbetsgivaren ska sedan skicka detta yttrande till Migrationsverket. De flesta fackförbund skriver faktiskt negativa yttranden om anställningar som inte har kollektivavtal. Detta gör de av princip eftersom de tycker att alla arbetsgivare borde ha kollektivavtal. I dessa fall handlar det alltså inte nödvändigtvis om lönenivån eller försäkringarna. Om ett fackförbund skriver ett negativt yttrande om din anställning behöver du inte oroa dig alltför mycket. Så länge du vet att din lön inte är lägre än i kollektivavtalet och att du har de nödvändiga försäkringarna ska det gå bra.

Om du får ett arbetstillstånd kan dina familjemedlemmar också få uppehållstillstånd så länge ditt arbetstillstånd gäller. Detta gäller familjemedlemmar som är din/dina:

  • Make eller hustru
  • Registrerade partner
  • Sambo
  • Barn under 18 år

Hur du ska ansöka om tillstånd för dina familjemedlemmar beror på om dina familjemedlemmar också är asylsökande eller om de fortfarande befinner sig utanför Sverige. Vi ska nu titta på båda dessa situationer, en åt gången.

Om dina familjemedlemmar också är asylsökande kan de ansöka om tillstånd att bo tillsammans med dig utan att först lämna Sverige. Men de kan bara göra detta om de har fått slutgiltiga (lagakraftvunna) negativa beslut i sina asylärenden. När dina familjemedlemmar får sina slutgiltiga negativa beslut, har de också två veckor på sig att ansöka om tillstånd att få bo tillsammans med dig. Om ni har ansökt om asyl tillsammans kan du inkludera dina familjemedlemmar i din ansökan om arbetstillstånd. Om dina familjemedlemmar får sina beslut i asylärendet senare än du och inte kan ansöka tillsammans med dig, måste de ansöka genom en blankett. Denna blankett kan laddas ner från Migrationsverkets hemsida. Om dina familjemedlemmar befinner sig i Sverige och inte kan ansöka samtidigt som du, kan de inte ansöka via hemsidan, utan måste använda denna blankett.

I den andra situationen, då dina familjemedlemmar ännu inte är i Sverige, kan de ansöka via Migrationsverkets hemsida om uppehållstillstånd för att få bo tillsammans med dig. Om de av någon anledning inte kan ansöka via hemsidan kan de använda sig av blanketten som vi precis nämnde och sedan lämna in ansökan till närmaste svenska ambassad eller konsulat.

Om dina familjemedlemmar inte ansöker tillsammans med dig måste de alla gör individuella ansökningar. De måste också betala en avgift för sina ansökningar. De behöver skicka med dokument som visar på deras relation till dig – för gifta personer behövs äktenskapsbevis och för barn ska man skicka födelsebevis. För att ta reda på exakt vad som krävs i denna ansökan rekommenderar vi att du kollar på Migrationsverkets hemsida eller ringer Migrationsverket och frågar.

Innan vi avslutar den här föreläsningen, skulle vi vilja göra en kort sammanfattning av det viktigaste:

  1. Du kan bara skicka in ansökan om arbetstillstånd när ditt beslut i asylärendet har “vunnit laga kraft”. När beslutet vinner laga kraft har du 14 dagar på dig att skicka ansökan. Om din ansökan kommer in för tidigt eller för sent kommer Migrationsverket att avslå den.
  2. Det är viktigt att du ser till att anställningen lever upp till alla krav innan du skickar in ansökan.
  3. Det är din arbetsgivare som påbörjar ansökningsprocessen genom Migrationsverkets hemsida. Du kommer därefter att få ett mejl som förklarar hur du ska ansöka. Att ansöka via hemsidan är oftast enklare och snabbare. Om du inte kan ansöka via hemsidan kan du skicka dokumenten med post.
  4. Du kommer att behöva betala en ansökningsavgift, antingen i ansökan du gör via hemsidan eller via Bankgiro
  5. Om du har familjemedlemmar kan dessa få uppehållstillstånd för att bo tillsammans med dig medan du arbetar. Hur dina familjemedlemmar ska ansöka om sina tillstånd beror på om de också är asylsökande i Sverige eller inte.

Kommentarer inaktiverade.